If you’ve never filed your tax return electronically, you should definitely consider trying it in 2009. Join the millions of taxpayers who are saving time and money to file their tax returns without the many headaches often associated with filing a paper return.
Here are the top eight reasons close to 90 million people filed their tax returns electronically in 2008:
1. It’s easy. You can usually file a state tax return at the same time you electronically file your federal tax return.
2. It’s accurate. No more human errors because e-file checks for math errors and necessary information. This not only increases the accuracy of your return, but it also reduces the need for correspondence with the IRS to clarify errors or omissions.
3. No more second-guessing yourself. When you file electronically, the computer software or online program guides you through the process step-by-step.
4. You’ll get your refund faster. When you use e-file, you can get your refund in as little as ten days.
5. There are more payment options. With e-file, you can file your return early, but wait to pay any balance due by the April deadline. You can also pay electronically using a credit card, electronic funds withdrawal or in some cases the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System.
6. It’s fast. You don’t have to make a trip to the post office. In fact, you won’t even need to walk to the mailbox to send your return. Just click Send.
7. You’ll know the IRS received your return. The IRS will send you an electronic notification acknowledging receipt of your return.
8. You’ll have peace of mind. After clicking send and receiving your notification from the IRS that they received your return…kick back and relax – you’re done!